Thursday, May 6, 2010

Things I like: Custard, Candy, and Canisters of Liquid Nitrogen

Okay, now, you mix them together (sans canisters) and you've got yourself entertainment and a treat at the end of the show. As an addition to the new Hammock Landing shopping plaza off of Palm Bay Rd. and I-95, Cold Fusion Iced Cream shop is truly a fun place to stop by.

I'll admit, when I walked in the shop, I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of ice cream joints. It's a pretty inconspicuous place until you see these huge canisters holding the liquid nitrogen around the prep area. Then you walk to the counter. What do you see when you look down beyond the glass?  Nothing.   And it makes perfect sense, everyone's iced cream is made to order.


So how does this whole "iced cream" thing work?  This is where you get to be creative.

  1. Once you get to the counter, you first choose the size and ice cream base.  
  2. Pick out your ice cream base flavors.
  3. Select your mix-ins.
You are your own ice cream designer.  Now, if you find that you can't make up your mind, there are some flavor "implosions" on the menu,  such as Amaretto Rapture, Atomic Key Lime Pie, and Vintage German Chocolate.  On my second visit (yes, I have visited more than once already), I decided to go with the Amaretto Rapture flavor implosion (chocolate base with amaretto, caramel, toffee bits, & almonds) with the Premium ice cream base.

As far as the ice cream bases go, you can choose from a fairly decent selection like premium, low fat, yogurt, custard, no sugar/no fat.  However, it's the base flavors are where you can go just wild.  Their flavors range from tame--Chocolate, Vanilla, and Dutch Honey, to um, a little less traditional like, Root Beer and Huckleberry.  You want Dr. Pepper and Egg Nog flavored ice cream together, knock yourself out!  And if there's a flavor they don't have, you can email them at Flavors@ColdFusionIcedCream.com and let them know what they're missing.  When it came to the mix-ins it was, Reese's  pieces, toffee pieces, snickers, marshmallows, your usual suspects in the ice cream parlors.

Alright already, get to the part about the Canisters of Liquid Nitrogen!!

The most exciting part is having your ice cream made and frozen right before your eyes!  I won't lie, my little nerdy self couldn't help but get giddy in delight watching the iced over faucets pour out boiling liquid nitrogen into the metal mixing bowls! 

ProTip: Liquid Nitrogen boils at
 -320 degrees Fahrenheit.

That's cold.  Really cold.  If it were liquid N versus teenage love, I'd still put my money on the nitrogen.

Now, here's something I didn't consider.  How do you like your ice cream?  Are you one of those stir-til-it's-soup fans or strictly solid?  If you're one of those people that don't like their treat a drippy mess, you can get your ice-cream with an extra shot of cold to keep it nice and frosty instead of warm and soupy.


What about taste?  Not bad.  The premium and custard bases were creamy the way they're supposed to be.  In terms of the base texture, it almost seemed to be thicker, maybe it's due to the lack of air incorporated in the freezing process.  And my toffee bits were still crunchy!  I'm thinking it's due to the quick shot of liquid N.  Downside, I didn't see how you could easily sample ice cream creations since all orders are made on the spot.  Overall, I will be catching up on this place often in the upcoming scorching Florida summer months.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

My favorite combinations so far are peanut butter with marshmallows and honey with cinnamon and pecans. Soooo delicious.