Friday, May 14, 2010

Driving by, Or At Least Trying to


Seven thirty-five AM.  I'm passing through the second school zone on my daily commute, very slowly.  Gas, break.  Gas, break.  Gas.  Idle.  Passing the same white Caddy for sale parked on the side of the road.  Good.  That means I've cleared the school zone.  Gassing.... Gassing!  Breaking.  Stopped.   Ugh.  Why is there always someone making an illegal left turn into this Ace Hardware store every morning?!  But you know what?  I try to look at the world in a partly sunny, glass half full kind of way, trying to find the silver lining--there's a point to this, I promise!


Well, if it weren't for that same guy that always makes that illegal turn every morning, I wouldn't look at that hardware store sign every morning with its little smarty-pants ad slogans, like "We sell chicken crap, cow crap, worm crap, bat crap, and BS."  This time a less interesting ad was up, "Local Orange Blossom Honey, 10oz, $5."  I've seen that one before.  But since it was a repeat ad, I told myself I should stop by sometime and pick up some of this local honey to try it.

Well, it took a few attempts to get this honey. Mostly because I kept forgetting that this hardware store closes early, and I'm too lazy to stop in the morning before work.  But eventually I made it in to the store to get this advertised honey, and it was well worth it for me to stop by.

This honey was absolutely wonderful!  It came in a mason jar with a home made sticker on it from Space Coast Bees.  I unscrewed the jar, popped open the lid and dipped the tip of my spoon in that light liquid gold.  Oh yeah.  This is the stuff.  It wasn't as thick or dark as the honey bear squeeze bottle.  Local organic honey is in a league of its own.  The taste?  This honey tasted like the blossoms it originated from, sweet and fragrant (not that I eat flowers or anything...).  I immediately made some green tea and put in a couple of teaspoons in the cup.  Excellent.

The pros:  It's delicious, I'm supporting local companies, and I get a reusable mason jar to drink my lemonade in.  For those with hay fever, I've heard if you take a spoonful of the local gold daily, it might relieve some of the annoying symptoms.  It's just what I've heard, I'm not a doctor.

The cons:  It's ruined grocery store honey for me, and there was a limited supply at the hardware store.  I've also figured out why people make that illegal turn.

Where to find this honey:
Ace Hardware of Palm Bay
6755 Babcock St. SE
Malabar, FL 32950
321-729-6690

Address for Space Coast Bees on the Jar Label:
Space Coast Bees
1100 Atz. Rd.
Malabar, FL 32950
321-506-3423

(Image: Office Space, www.howwedrive.com/ 2008/08/05/)

No comments: