Like so many people in the summertime, you might have had an Independence Day cookout with an (over) abundance of grilled goodies like hamburgers and hotdogs. And if you're like me, I'm not going to be wasting my flame-broiled goodness by pitching those leftovers to the pets, trash can, or letting them become fuzzy lifeforms in the fridge (at least not this time)!
I woke up this morning hungry and looked in my fridge: leftover burgers, burger accessories, and eggs. I thought to myself, "Burgers aren't quite breakfast sausage, but let's see what can happen." Omlets are practically the only breakfast food that I'm consistently decent at making in the morning hours before coffee, so I began to make my three egg omlet out of fresh chicken eggs.
I'm still staring at the the cooked patties and sliced onions, tomato and cheese. Alright, cheeseburger omlet it is--and to my surprise, it was awesome! It was like eating a good morning burger in disguise! (Because somehow saying you're eating a burger with grilled onions, tomato, cheese, and topped with a fried egg just seems too gluttonous?) To be honest, I didn't call it a cheeseburger omlet until I started eating it and realized it tasted just like cheeseburger.
Here's my recipe for a breakfast of champions (or Atkins dieter):
Cheeseburger Omlet
3 large eggs
3Tbs. milk or half and half
1/2 onion or leftover raw onion slices
1 slice of swiss or colby-jack cheese
4oz. burger patty, cooked.
Salt and Pepper to taste.
In a bowl, add eggs, milk, and lightly whisk with a fork. Chop up leftover onion and burger. In a medium sized non-stick skillet over medium heat, saute the leftover onion and burger until onions are translucent. Remove onions and burger and put on a plate. Take the egg mixture and pour into the skillet, wait until some bubbles form beneath the egg. Add the onion and burger mixture to one side of the omlet, add cheese. With a spatula, fold the egg over the meat and cheese. Cook for an additional minute. Slide omlet out of pan onto plate. Garnish with leftover tomato slices.
Enjoy! If you have any neat ideas of what to do with leftover grilled goodness, let me know!
Thursday, July 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment