One third of the 9 hour trip has occurred, and I'm already getting hungry. Was it because I knew I would be in Gainesville at some point in the trip, or just coincidence? I'm going to go with the former. One of the best things about college towns is the food and just how cheap it is to eat some really yummy food. Another good point about college towns is that people bring the trends back from their hometowns and start new trends in the area. One new trend I've been noticing is cupcakes, and I got to try some new cupcake flavor combinations at the Yum Cupcakery in Gainesville off of 34th street.
This bakery allows you to DYOC (design your own cupcake).
You get to mix and match your choice of cakes, fillings, frostings, and toppings. And let me tell you, there are a lot of possibilities. Starting off with the cakes, they have regular, raw, light, and vegan cakes to be the base of your creation. Flavors such as banana cake, red velvet, vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry are just some of the cake bases to get you started. If you're an indecisive person, like myself, filling and frosting combos took me quite a while to choose from. I wanted to try a little bit of everything, but my road trip buddy was telling me to hurry up because we needed to make it to Atlanta in the same day. Here is an abridged list of the frostings and fillings: chocolate, vanilla, mango, lemon, mint, caramel, green tea, papaya, blueberry, wasabi, espresso, cream cheese, ginger... the list goes on and on. The frostings were your traditional buttercream for the most part, but good, not like the mass produced tub buttercream frosting that some grocery store bakeries make. And the toppings? Regular sprinkles and syrups to dried fruits and candied fennel.
First stop at the Yum Cupcakery, I chose a strawberry cake base since the cakes were fresh from the oven, then it was made even better with coconut filling and mango frosting with a jackfruit chip for garnish. It was pretty, pink cake with light orange frosting on top. It was crazy sweet, but when I think of cupcakes, I think of the super sweet, super girly, and pretty treats. The regular strawberry cake reminded me a little bit of Pillsbury strawberry cake, but not crumbly or dry. Unfortunately, I was too excited about the cupcake, ate it, and forgot to take a photo. Bad food blogger! But I do have a picture of the cupcake I designed on the return trip from Atlanta that I'll show later on in the series.
Prices on the cupcakes were reasonable, approximately $2.50/cake, considering it is your own custom cupcake. Major credit cards accepted, and surprisingly, even PayPal! I was talking to the girl behind the register, and she said if you could pull up the number, they'll charge it. If this place existed when I was in school, I'd be in trouble.
The Pros: you can make your cupcake as awesome as you like.
The Cons: you can make your cupcake less awesome than you thought it would be.
Note to self, find a local cupcakery or cupcakery equivalent.
http://www.theyumshop.com/index.php

No comments:
Post a Comment